EAL COMPETENT PERSON
SAFE WORKING FOR LOW VOLTAGE SYSTEMS
This three-day course will enable you to gain the knowledge required to carry out the role of Competent Person (Electrical) within your company. The course will cover the general criteria contained within requirements of the IET Code of practice for Electrical Safety Management and related HSE publications such as Electricity at Work Regulations and Safe Working Practices.
The course will also cover requirements within HTM documents (Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems in the Health industry) and WIMES documents (Electrical Safety Guidance for Low Voltage Systems in the Water Industry).
Who should attend:
This course is aimed at electrical staff with responsibility for the operation or maintenance of installed Low Voltage systems and who may be nominated as a Competent Person within their organisation. It would also be suitable for mechanical staff with a reasonable degree of electrical knowledge.
Please contact the office for dates
Cost: £600.00 + VAT inc EAL exam and certification fees
Course topics include:
• Dangers of electricity and Industrial accidents (electrical)
• Levels of voltage (LV, ELV and RLV ‘110 V’)
• Earthing systems, Fault currents and Protective bonding
• Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (Statutory Requirements)
• Assessing safe working practices
• Safe isolation procedures
• Deciding whether to work dead or live, and actions common to both working dead and working live
• Roles and responsibilities of the competent person
• Risk assessment and Method statements
• Permit to work
• Requirements for testing electrical installations
• Completion of Test Results Section on the Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC)
• Explanation/overview of Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate (MEIWC)
• Multi-choice question paper and Practical Assessments
Note that this Competent Person course should be undertaken before moving onto the Authorised Person course.